Full Time Legal Coordinator at The Gender & Justice Unit
Position: Legal Coordinator
Location: Lilongwe (but with a nationwide remit)
Reports to: Executive Director
Full/Part Time: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Fixed Term/Casual: Fixed term – 12 months (with possible extension)
Are you looking for a rewarding career in the legal field? Look no further than the GJU’s Legal Coordinator position! We seek a highly motivated and passionate individual to join our team and assist with our strategic litigation efforts. As our Legal Coordinator, you will coordinate and manage various legal projects, including conducting legal research, preparing legal documents, and organizing case files. In addition, you will work closely with our legal team to ensure that our litigation strategy is effective and efficient.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone passionate about the law and strongly interested in strategic litigation. You should have excellent communication skills and work well in a team environment. Additionally, you should be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. At GJU, we value our employees and provide a supportive and collaborative work environment. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages and opportunities for professional growth and development. If you are a driven and passionate individual with a strong interest in strategic litigation, we encourage you to apply for our Legal Coordinator position today!
Core duties and responsibilities include:
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all legal and strategic litigation inquiries, managing and responding to requests in a timely and professional manner;
- Manage the overall functioning and deliverables of the GBV legal clinic and strategic litigation initiative; including overseeing the development of and compliance with the complaint management protocols and ensuring the updating of the online case management system;
- Oversee the development and management of the gender-related laws IVR;
- Attend court hearings and depositions as needed, taking accurate notes and reporting back to the relevant parties
- Drafting and reviewing legal documents such as contracts, settlements, and summons.
- The legal coordinator may work with outside counsel or other legal professionals to support and guide the organization.
- Preparing documents such as legal research, legal opinions, pleadings and other legal documents
- Communicating with clients to obtain information about cases and ensure that they understand the steps involved in each case
- Maintain an organized and accessible filing system for all legal documents, correspondence, and records
- Managing office operations to ensure that all paralegals have what they need to do their jobs effectively
- Liaise between the project team, the external consultants, relevant national institutions and funders, where necessary
- Provide research, coordination, and material support as requested and perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned from time to time
Collaborating and partnering
- Deal effectively and persuasively with a wide range of people, both within and outside GJU, as part of a multi–skilled team and on an individual basis to ensure effective and successful prosecution of cases.
- Establish credibility, earn respect through a depth of legal and procedural knowledge, and influence others based on that knowledge.
- Manage legal clinic budgets and ensure full accountability of all finances under the LC’s direct supervision.
- Submit all receipts and other financial records to the finance team promptly and professionally.
- Collaborate with the Project Manager to produce monthly progress reports.
- Assist the Project Manager in developing project reports.
Capabilities, competencies and work experience requirements
- Degree in law from an accredited institution
- Valid Legal Practitioner’s License
- At least 2 years post-admittance experience in legal practice within Malawian courts
- Analytical and organizational skills
- Outstanding problem-solving ability
- Able to work independently and carry out assignments to completion
- Demonstrable experience managing and working in partnership with other organizations
- Excellent computer proficiency (Microsoft Office including Word and Excel)
- Excellent verbal communication and report-writing skills
- Demonstrable experience in working well under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and maintaining exemplary standards
Fluent in English and Chichewa (written and spoken)
Remuneration and benefits
• Salary between MWK7,200,000 and MWK 12,000,000 per annum (Dependent on experience)
• Please send an application with a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
• The closing date for applications is 21 April 2023
392 total views, 1 today