Full Time Environmental Safeguards Specialist at Ministry Of Education
Republic of Malawi
Ministry Of Education
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES- INDIVIDUAL SELECTION)
Name of Country: MALAWI
Name of Project: Skills for A Vibrant Economy Project (SAVE)
Project ID/Loan No: P172627
Assignment Title: SAVE Project Environmental Safeguards Specialist
Reference No.: MW-MOE-224909-CS-INDV
Date of Issue: 11th April 2023
The Malawi Government has received financing from the World Bank toward the implementation of the Skills for a Vibrant Economy (SAVE) Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to increase access, particularly for females, to labour market-relevant skills development programs in participating institutions, targeting priority areas of the economy
The project is being implemented by the Ministry of Education in conjunction with the Ministry of Labour. It has a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) that coordinates the implementation of all project activities.
As part of institutional development plans for activities to be implemented in pursuit of the PDO, the SAVE Project implementing institutions have various construction works to be undertaken.
Implementation of the construction projects will have to be undertaken in line with the requirements of World Bank Environmental and Social Framework (ESF), the applicable Environmental and Social Standards (ESS) and the World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines (EHSG). The Environmental and Social Management Framework (EMF) for SAVE Project requires that, environmental and social due diligence should be conducted for all sub-projects to prevent, minimize or mitigate both environmental and social adverse impacts that could arise from project implementation.
This is also in compliance with the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment requirements as provided for in the Environment Management Act (EMA) 2017. It is expected that some sub-projects will require Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs) while others will need the development of Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs). Coordination of all the environmental safeguards activities for the SAVE project requires availability of an Environmental Safeguards Specialist.
The consulting services (the Services) for an Environmental Safeguards Specialist for the Project will include providing technical assistance to the SAVE Project in fulfilling its obligations under the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Environmental and Social Commitment Plan and ensure that the Project activities comply with the requirements of the environmental and social safeguards as outlined in the governing Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and the Malawi Environment Protection Authority (MEPA). This contract will be for one year, renewable for the next contract period of the project subject to satisfactory performance following annual reviews and subject to availability of funding. The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained at the address given below.
The Ministry of Education now invites eligible individuals (Consultants) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services for the position.
The candidate should meet the following minimum qualifications and experience requirements:
- A Master’s Degree in Environmental Science or Natural Resources Management;
- Have 5 years of progressive experience in environmental safeguards management in World Bank or other donor funded projects. Experience in Public Sector will be an added advantage;
- Have thorough working knowledge of World Bank environmental and social safeguards policies, Environmental and Social Framework, Environmental and Social Standards, the World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines and relevant national legislation on the Environment sector;
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to dialogue and interface with grass root, district and other sector players;
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of more advanced aspects of environmental sciences, natural resource management and any other related disciplines:
- Ability to facilitate implementation of Environmental Safeguards, including facilitating the preparation of Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs), Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIAs) and Environmental Social Management Framework (ESMF).
- Strong command of software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database systems, etc.)
- Fluency in spoken and written English
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs,3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers dated November 2020 (*Procurement Regulations), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict ot interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant (INDV) selection method set out in the Procurement Regulations of the World Bank.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 07:30 to 16:30 hours, local time.
Expressions of interest including updated detailed curriculum vitae and professional certificates must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by e-mail) by 16:00 hours, local time on Friday, 28th April, 2023.
The Director of Human Resource Management and Development
Ministry of Education
Private Bag 328
Phone: +265 1 789422
426 total views, 1 today